Whitehall PA 18052 is a township in Lehigh county state of Pennsylvania in the United States. The area code is 610 and has a population density of 26738 as per 2010 census. The township has an area of 12.8 square miles with only 0.2 square miles being water and 12.6 square miles being land.
Whithall PA History
The history of Pennsylvania dates back to 1681 when King Charles II gave the land to William Penn. His sons Richard, Thomas and John later inherited the land after the death of their father. They deed Lehigh County was between the Blue Mountains and Lehigh (south) Mountain to Delaware Indians in 1736. At the time, Germany’s Palatinate immigrants had started to settle in the Whitehall Township with Jacob Kohler being the first one in 1728.
The settlers applied for a land warrant from Penn sons and began to clear for farming. They also established other amenities such as churches around which villages grew. The settlers lived peacefully for a time with the Lenni Lenapes, a local tribe of native Americas, but the harmony would not last as locals started to suffer injustices from settlers. The natives would lash back in 1963 during the last Indian uprising in Lehigh County resulting in the death of 23 settlers.
In mid-1800s, agriculture was the major industry. Today, the area under cultivation is about 2000 acres. Six grist mills that used to mill grains from farmers into flour and animal feeds existed but only one exists today. The remaining one is the Helfrich Springs Grist Mill, which is preserved as a local history museum by Whitehall Historical Preservation Society. The discovery of Iron ore brought Industrial Revolution in 1854 when the first blast furnace was established in Hokendauqua.
During the construction of railroads, limestone was discovered and the first Portland Cement Plant was built. Others cement companies were also established and by 1914, about 70 percent of cement produced in United States used to come from Lehigh. The cement industry attracted new wave of immigrants and in 1900, Whitehall was classified as a First Class Township with a populace of 7935. After World War II, the area transitioned from manufacturing to retail industry with Whitehall benefiting as a suburb of Allentown. In 1968, the individual villages were united into Whitehall. In 1974, the Home Rule Charter form of government was approved by voters that created an elected executive and a seven member legislative body. Whitehall Township today is a desirable community that offers quality life and good climate for commerce, business and industry.
Parks and Recreation
Approximately 370 acres of parkland at 30 different locations that range from tot-lots to the expansive Whitehall Parkway and Ironton Rail-Trail offer residents both active and passive recreation through various interest groups and clubs. The Township offers many activities for residents that include bicycling, fishing, ice skating, picnic areas, swimming, zumba, aqua aerobics, roller skating, hiking treks, historical sites and bird watching among others. Some of the parks and playgrounds in Whitehall PA include Allencrest, Cementon / Victor Talotta Park, Egypt Memorial Park, Schadt Avenue Park, Hokendauqua Park and playground, Jefferson Street Playground, Stiles and West Catasauqua among others.
Whitehall Township today is a desirable community that offers quality life and good climate for commerce, business and industry. The township is run by an administration whose role is to serve and assist the residents. The Township mayor supervises the administration of all township agencies and represents the township in discussions with other government agencies.