One of our favorite places to be busy is the kitchen. There’s nothing like a home cooked meal, and at Haven Ridge, our kitchens are designed with home cooking in mind. In the day-to-day rush of the fall season, a home cooked meal that is both tasty and efficient is the perfect way to let yourself slow down and enjoy an easy family dinner after a long day.
The biggest secret to simple AND scrumptious? It’s all in the preparation! Spend some of your weekend downtime planning the dinners you will prepare in the kitchen the following week. We’ve compiled some tips on the best ways to break down your nightly meals into quick, easy steps that can be done ahead of time, turning your busy kitchen into a haven of taste and ease.
- Plan your portions – Consider cooking for more than one night at a time. A simple crock pot dish or basic chicken recipe will pair well with a diverse array of side dishes and future leftovers.
- Prep your fresh ingredients all at once – buy a perfect squash that’s too big for a single meal? Slice or dice the whole thing your liking at once and freeze the uncooked portions to revisit later, without worrying that it will go bad.
- Let it rest – feeling in the zone on Monday night? Start your prep for Tuesday ahead of time. Choose a recipe that can marinate in the fridge overnight to allow for an easy grab-an-go meal later in the week.
- Make it your own – Every chef, gourmet or at-home cook, has recipes and flavors they like to revisit over and over. Have your favorites ready to go by storing the dry ingredients together, like creating your own blend of spices or pre-crushing your favorite breadcrumb mixture.
- Give leftovers new life – Whoever said the same meal twice in a row had to be boring? Make stir fry from leftover vegetables, craft BBQ pulled sandwiches from extra meat, or toss leftover noodles into a soup. Last night’s dinner will be unrecognizable.